Monday, December 13, 2010

Sunshine Factory Make a Statement With 2nd Album

My wife's from Alabama, so maybe I can even get her interested in this one...
  • The Sunshine Factory - Sugar (The Sugar Collective) [thesunshinefactorymusic.com]
  • Sugar - Buy it here
    • To be released tomorrow. Recorded at The Sunshine Studio in Mobile, AL. They love their sunshine and sugar in 'Bama.
    • I wasn't expecting much from this southern four-piece until I looked at their MySpace and saw that their influences were the same as my own when we recorded our album over the last year. Pixies, Swirlies and My Bloody Valentine? Oh, yeah. But they also like Cocteau Twins, and it shows a little. To each his/her own. Once I clicked "Play", I was pretty happy, and that's the important thing.
    • A little too sugary for my taste, but at least it's appropriately titled. I prefer a little less sweet when a man is singing. Just makes me a tad uncomfortable.
    • Still, it's a great sound, lovely enough for the more typical shoegaze fan but just noisy, gritty and interesting enough for noise-pop enthusiasts like myself. Not quite on the level of their influences, but that would be tough for any band.
    • This is their second full-length album, the follow-up to July 2009's Vintage Revolution, which is available by donation.
    • There's been at least one attempt to upload the album to the Web today, but someone took it down pretty quickly. I've only been able to hear the two streaming tracks on MySpace and BandCamp so far. But that's enough for me to recommend it.


The single "My Sugar Cane" is a pretty righteous track. It originally appeared on the rare Sugar EP last year (Tracks 8 and 9 were also on the EP). So now they have a Sugar EP and a Sugar LP. Sweet.


The Sunshine Factory - "My Sugar Cane" (Sugar; 12/14/2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment